Saturday 31 December 2016

Farmer’s Wife 1930s Quilt Blocks 65, 70, 81, 96, 97 and 99


And so I come to the end of my Farmer’s Wife 1930s blocks with these last six blocks.....
                               
Block 65 – Mother.  This was the second-to-last block I made but the last block to include inset seams.  If you paper-piece this block ignore pieces F2, G2, H2 and I2 – there is no need for them.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 65 - Mother

Block 70 – Mrs Lloyd.  I don’t know why this block got pushed to the back of the queue, perhaps because I had enough flying geese at the beginning.  But I spent a pleasant hour patching and paper-piecing Mrs Lloyd.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 70 - Mrs Lloyd

Block 81 – Peony.  I was thinking of taking the easy way out to make Peony using Gnome Angel’s simpler alternative.  However, this was the last block I had to make so I decided to go for it.  What a mistake!!!  There are four 90-degree inset seams, one center partial seam and over 50 pieces.  There would’ve been more pieces but I couldn’t see why the E3/E4, F3/F4, G3/G4 and H3/H4 pieces had been split (utter madness) so I joined them together.  In the history of quilting, I can say with utter certainty – I will NEVER, EVER make this block again.   My advice to you – take the simpler alternative.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 81 - Peony
  
Block 96 – Tirzah.  I struggled to get the outer middle parts to match up with the corner units.  This had the effect of me not liking this block very much.  But it measures 6½” and it is done.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 96 - Tirzah

Block 97 – Tracy.  When making this block you really need to pay attention when stitching the sections together.  It is easy to get them muddled up.  Pay attention and this block goes together fairly easily.  But be warned – it is a lot of work.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 97 - Tracy

Block 99 – Widow.  The date on this page of the block reminds me that I paper-pieced this block in September 2015!  It is an okay block but very similar to many others in the book.  It is the fabrics that make it different.
Farmer's Wife 1930s Block no. 99 - Widow

So there you have it – all 99 blocks completed.  If you want to see all the blocks together head over to my Farmer's Wife 1930s Pinterest Board.  I am finishing off the sashing and then it will be off to the quilters.  I will post photos here and on social media when I get it back.  Time to raise a glass and toast in the New Year. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR 
xxxxx

7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Congratulations on completing your blocks. I have the book and have it on my list to tackle, we'll see what happens this year. Looking forward to seeing you quilt completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Sherry. Thank you. I will certainly be showing off my quilt once it is finished.

      Delete
  2. Love your blocks and your colour choices! And congratulations on finishing them all - 99! wow!Thanks for sharing and for your many tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment Claudia. I hope 2017 brings you much fun.

      Delete
  3. How do I get the patterns for these Farmers Wife blocks?

    Than you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it! Thank you for the photos of these beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it Lorraine. The book includes a CD for paper-piecing or making the blocks using templates. I really enjoyed the experience. I hope you do too.

      Delete