Tuesday 8 July 2014

Patchiqué Blocks 18 and 109

If you get the sense that you have seen block 18 before you would be right – it is very similar to block 17.
Block 18 from Japanese Taupe Quilts

The only difference is the centre square ......

Block 17 from Japanese Taupe Quilts
So it was a pleasure to make this block 'again' and, like block 17, it was an easy and relaxing make. 
Patchiqué Block 18 - Patchsmith Style
When I first got this book the patchwork blocks looked tricky and complicated.  But I have found them to be relatively straightforward.  In fact, I have enjoyed making the patchwork blocks more than the appliqué blocks.
Block 109 from Japanese Taupe Quilts
Talking of which, appliqué block 109 ‘Asa no han’ (morning flower) presented a challenge for my quick-fuse appliqué method.  This block is constructed in a similar way to a Dresden circle.  Each petal is made of two fabrics.  (I cut my rectangles slightly larger than the book stated as 4” x 2”.  Once stitched together the patched block measured 4” x 3½”).  That part was easy enough.  But then came the slight adjustment. 
 
The author, Susan Briscoe, has used needle-turn applique whereas I prefer the quick-fuse method.  So a slight adjustment was needed.
 
I traced the dotted line on the template onto the paper side of my fusible webbing.  I also marked the centre line and the dots on the tracing.  When I cut out the tracings, instead of leaving ¼” around the whole tracing I only left ¼” around the top of the petal (the rounded section).  I cut accurately along the traced lines on the bottom and sides, up to the marked dots (as shown below).   
I fused the tracings onto the back of the patched petal blocks, matching up the line with the centre seam.    
Next I cut out the petals accurately along the top curved section and the bottom but I left ¼” seam allowance on both sides of each petal.
Patchiqué Block 109 - Patchsmith Style
From there is was relatively easy to construct the flower.  I stitched the sides together as instructed in the book.  Once the whole flower was stitched together I removed the fusible webbing paper from the petals (trimming the side seams as necessary) and I positioned the finished flower on the background square.  Finally I fused and stitched the flower in place before adding a fussy-cut center circle.

It sounds a lot of work but, in my opinion, it isn’t as fiddly as turning 1/8” on those curved petals.   

So there you have it – another two blocks done – only twelve blocks to go.  Next fortnight it will be the turn of patchwork block 2 and appliqué block 106 (a Dresden circle).
 
Sew until then .....

4 comments:

  1. I must say I like your versions
    Better and the extra "tips" always helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blocks. Your dresden is very elegant and you are rather clever adapting it for blanket stitch applique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Block 129, Morning Flower, is just stunning! I love the colors for the petals! I am glad you have done the figuring out for me, when I get to making it soon!
    I also like your brown and green block 18.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Block 109 is great. I love Dresden plate blocks . This one is a big step from them! Well done!

    ReplyDelete