Friday 15 June 2012

Mug Rug Addict

It all started approximately six weeks ago with the Zakka Style sew along mug rug.  Up until this point I hadn't come across a mug rug - I asked around at work and people thought it was just another name for a coaster.  In fact they are larger than a coaster and people swap mug rugs across the seas!  Well the Zakka Style sew along mug rug turned out lovely and I really enjoyed making it. 
Then, when I posted about it on my blog I was invited to swap with a lovely lady, eamylove in the United States of America.   Of course I jumped at the chance and received not one, but two mug rugs in the post. 
I made my second mug rug and sent it across the Atlantic to Amy. 
At this stage I am totally unaware of the addiction which is coursing through my veins.  The addiction was about to take a stronger hold as I started a sew-along at work and suggested we make a mug rug each whilst deciding which book we should follow.  I explained to the group what a mug rug was (there is a need for a mug rug awareness group here in England) and I took in the two beauties Amy sent me and my Zakka project. 

Then, this Monday whilst at my sister's house, I designed and made my third mug rug for the swap at work.  It was loosely based on Patchwork Pottery's tea cup purse and gave me a chance to practise my free-style quilting (still needs a bit of work). 
Well, my sister, being my sister and wanting everything I make (but she can't have EVERYTHING!!) wanted one exactly the same for herself.  So I made her one - it isn't exactly the same (obviously) - the fabrics are different.
My sister was thrilled and thought she would attempt to design a mug rug of her own which is a bit like trying to run before you can even sit up, let alone crawl, seeing she didn't know what a mug rug was two hours earlier!  Needless to say, she fell at the first hurdle and got disheartened.  So I looked on-line for an easy tutorial that would turn out good every time.  I found a Dresden mug rug tutorial by Ryan Walsh and, aside from the border measurements being incorrect, my sister completed a vibrant mug rug of her own.
What a success.  Of course, I made a mug rug alongside her to assist and help her.  (Note here that I'm not denying my addiction as there is nothing to deny - I am NOT addicted!)
My sister then embarked on another - can you see the frenzied look in her face - no that isn't concentration - it is compulsive madness with no withdrawal patch in sight. 
Of course, I had to make another to help her along and to make sure she was not getting ahead of me herself.
My fifth mug rug is partially bordered because the girls at work want to see how to mitre their binding (see the Mug Rug Basics tab above for a tutorial on how to do this).    Maybe I should make another using strip binding - mmmmmm - now that is a jolly good idea me thinks.

But before I do, there is just enough time for me to stand up and say "my name is Amanda and I am a mug rug addict - I have only been an addict for under a month but I cannot stop.  Worse than all of this though, I have peddled my addiction onto my sister!"

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely addiction you have!!! I'll admit, I'm an addict too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you, Amanda! I can't stop, either, and my sister is also afflicted. At least they take up almost no space, and they demand nothing in return for all the smiles they bring. Think of it this way: they are keeping us all out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Amy's sister, Susie.
    I think this is proof that Mug Rug Addiction runs in families.....
    If we all get sent away to a rehab, we'll be hand-sewing in our laps DURING the counseling sessions , and hiding fabric stashes in our rooms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love the sound of rehab - I wanna go to rehab I say 'yeah, yeah, yeah'. I take it I can sing whilst sewing and confessing my sins whilst stuffing FQs down my dress!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see other newer addicts to mugrugs! I found out about them a year after all the big hoopla and it has been hard to find people who are still making them and doing swaps. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't tend to have mug rugs in England - well we didn't until the addiction started! I think they are a great way to bring the seasons and/or colour into the home and office quickly and easily. Check out Flickr - they often have mug rug swaps going on. If you put 'mug rug' in the search and then select 'groups' there might be a current one starting or about to start. Also, I have started a range of mug rug patterns in my shop, so you might want to check that out.

      Delete
  5. New to this downloading of patterns. Do you provide instructions too?? Not sure what the pieces are and how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite simple to download the pattern. You purchase through Craftsy and the pattern is transferred into your Craftsy library. You can go into your library and click on the 'download' button. It will download the PDF pattern. The pattern will stay in your library for you to download again if you need to. Very occasionally a pattern may not download correctly - this is simply rectified - just download it again.
      Each pattern contains full instructions and a separate applique sheet with full size applique. If you have any problems just email me and I will be happy to help.

      Delete
    2. I have set up a page detailing how to download from Craftsy, I hope this helps.

      Delete
  6. Hello,,,,
    I was in Mug Rug Swap about a year ago...sent mine out and somehow received three back..one is just so intricate with lace, beads, teabags,, just adorable, also with two Hexagon coasters..I can't find the lady who sent it to me but glad she did..I love mug rugs next to microwavable baked potato and corn bags...I have a Go Baby and lots of dies to Applique to my Mug Rugs,,I think I have purchased many of your mug rugs on Craftsy,,I don' know if I have purchased the same one twice, sure hope Craftsy let's me know LOL..take care and keep up the Mug Rug addiction!!
    Linda Jeter
    VA
    LJeterpudd@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have participated in a few swaps myself - check Flickr Scrappy Mug Rugs and you may find an ongoing swap or one about to start. Also, I am sure Craftsy will let you know if you purchase the same pattern twice. I am glad you like the mug rug patterns - they are such a good use of scraps and trying out new pattern combinations. But then I am an addict so I would find all the positives.

      Delete